Recently, I came across a new interactive ratings and commenter site called blippr. blippr could most easily be described as comments on roids. The question is, can they last and stack up to already popular social media sites like Facebook and Twitter; who are already filling a niche in “what are you currently doing?”
They already have a huge foot in the door as an interactive widget within Mashable posts. In fact this is what originally took me to the blippr site. Here are some pros and cons.
- You login using one of your already existing social media profiles from Facebook, Twitter, Google, or Yahoo. This is much easier than having to go through an entireregistration and sign up process. I’m sure they understood this from the beginning.
- It is a central source at understanding trends and ratings for books, games, movies, music, and apps. This type of information is invaluable for marketing professionals, programmers, authors, artists, movie directors and so on. Being able to see what genres, programs, and themes are receiving the highest ratings can serve as a powerful guide in creating what’s next.
- It is interactive. You are able to vote, comment and contribute. Don’t see something on blippr that you really like? Go ahead and add it. This is a great way to get your own product out into the public’s eye and on search results. Eyeballs equals sales.
- It’s another site to keep on top of. People are already looking for ways to simplify their internet and social media experience. Is blippr just another site that I need to be on? Will it just serve as another distraction? This can only be answered by the user.
- You are able to customize your profile, but it is very limited. You are not able to add favorites, websites, and additional information that you feel is applicable to anyone who views your profile.
- It’s new. Time will tell if blippr will be able to hold true or if it just another “flash in the pan” fad.
So there you have it; my two cents on blippr. If you happen to go to the site and set up an account make sure to connect with me: http://www.blippr.com/profiles/kyleclouse